Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sketchbook Saturday

I thought that as a change of pace, I'd devote weekend posts to sketching and drawing...
Click on the thumbnail image to see a larger picture.
I use a moleskine sketchbook that I have wrapped in a pencil carrier. The two fit like they were made for each other:



The moleskines aren't the greatest sketchbooks in the world (don't get me wrong, they're good or I wouldn't use them), but there's something about them; the heft, the solidity, style, that feels like it 'fits'. So that's what I use.


Drawing during an Ol' Time Social live music session at the Conor Byrne, here in Seattle.


The sleeping beauty is my girl, Mary Jo. In the lower left of the page you can see a thumbnail sketch for one of the Montana road trip paintings, Lookout Pass.


I have a tendency to start in the middle of the page and work out to the edges. Sometimes that leaves a lot of awkward space. The gas pump on the right page was a personal challenge to see how much I could get drawn while filling up at the station.


Left page is from the cafeteria at work, while the right is a medley while waiting for a haircut.

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

you drew that while you were pumping GAS?!
Speed drawing and very accurate, too.

Jason Waskey said...

Mary,

Well... I don't know how accurate it is. :)