Friday, July 4, 2008

Framed Work


I think that part of what makes a piece "complete" is the frame. It's why, when I sell a piece, I sell it framed.

On a side note, I think great if someone wants to reframe my work the way
they want it-- I just want to make sure that when they receive a piece from me, it's ready to hang on a wall or set on a mantle.

Every now and again I weigh spending the time to make my own frames versus buying store bought. (In fact, I can already start to feel the pull to make odd sized paintings from the fairly standard sizes I work at now (especially for plein air stuff)...) The quality of what I've been buying for my small pieces though certainly adds a nice touch. For larger pieces, I'd advise folk to consider a post from Stacey Peterson. It's chock full of pretty pictures and great links. Besides, Stacey's work rocks, so any time spent at her place is time well spent.

Which is why I like to call out that it's time again for the twice a year sale at Aaron Brothers...

Here's a couple more shots of my work in Aaaron Brothers frames...

5 comments:

Stacey Peterson said...

Thanks for the mention Jason - I always wonder if I'm being helpful when I post long posts about materials!!

I just stopped by Aaron Brothers sale and stocked up on panels (gessobord is included in the 1 cent sale!!) and picked up some larger canvases. Their canvases aren't the best, but can't beat the price when they have their sale!

Jason Waskey said...

You write great posts, Stacey!

And, as I said, your work rocks. :)

I probably should have mentioned that Aaron Bros *also* has a buy one get the second for a penny on canvas too, but like you, I don't care much for their offerings there.

The Masonite's usually gone by the time I get there...

Bill Sharp said...

Personally, I dread the whole framing issue. Buying frames is awfully expensive but, I've made all my frames in the past and it takes a lot of time, space and energy away from precious painting time.

I have to admit, the right frame makes a big difference and it is satisfying to see them all lined up in their frames. Of course, the wrong frame makes a big difference too ;)

Bill Sharp said...

BTW, I saw some of your work in a bookstore in Queen Anne a while back and they looked great.

Jason Waskey said...

Bill,
The nice thing about buying off the rack frames as opposed to bespoke is that the costs can stay pretty darn low, while looking pretty good-- no open corners, for example-- something my carpentry skills are not necessarily up to... :)

Thanks for the kind words about the QA work!