Friday, October 26, 2007

10000 Maniacs

I had an interesting e-mail exchange with the author of sixtyminuteartist in regards to this post:
Becoming a Full-Time Artist-What are the odds?
Jerry pointed out that having just .00005 of the population of the US buy your paintings, you'd get about about 15,000 sales-- enough to make a living. :)

Of course, that means that you have to paint at least 15,000 paintings and sell them-- which is no small feat in and of itself.

So I'll set an easier(!) goal for my lifetime:

I will sell 10,000 paintings.

I'm not going to count past sales. This is moving forwards. Remember: it's good to have goals!
Goals need to be S.M.A.R.T. (specific, measurable, achievable, results based, and time bound)-- I think this fits the bill nicely. 200 paintings a year for the next 50 years (assuming an 85 year life span) is achievable. Hard, but achievable.

I'll put a counter on this blog with the next sale-- and soon I'll let you in on a few of my other goals for the next year!

3 comments:

Steven said...

Good luck.... there's a "function" of marketing, too, as you get more work out there, you can charge more and so it feeds itself. If you were a billable hour consultant, you can back into your "price point" by setting your salary and dividing your working hours into that...

So if you want to make $80,000 per year and work 40 hours per week as a full-time artist. Say it takes you 8 hours per piece (roughly), then you can factor together all that for your base price. $308 or so. Mark it up for materials, etc. and you got a price.

Of course, I don't know many artists making $80,000 per year. :D

Steven said...

BTW, I meant to add... you can do it! Good for you!

Jason Waskey said...

Thanks Steven!