Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Smelt #3 (sold)


Smelt #3, oil on linen, 7" X 5", 2008
sold

I've been painting small pictures of objects (and places) nearly every day for the better part of a year now, and I can say that by far, my favorite subject to paint has been fish.

They offer a wealth of possibility for observation-- a combination of reflection, iridescence, texture, and character.

These wee beasties had the whole house reeking. It's a good thing I live alone! I have family coming in the next few days, so these had to be painted now.

Thankfully, the rubbish is out, and off to the landfill.

4 comments:

David Lobenberg said...

Family visitors and fish stink in two days. Paraphrasing Ben Franklin. I can see why you like to paint these little guys. Great rainbow colors plus grays and silvers. Super job!

Jason Waskey said...

Thanks David!

paintopolis said...

Jason -- You've done a great job with all the smelt paintings -- really nice. -- Kevin

Jason Waskey said...

Kevin,

Thanks for the very kind comment. I don't know what it is about me and dead fish, but they bring out the best in me.

Perhaps I was a performing seal in a past life...