Monday, January 14, 2013

Eldorado Sunset

Eldorado Sunset, oil on linen, 5" X 7", 2013
$125 USD framed
I went back to my hometown of Santa Fe over the holidays. The light and vistas are the same that have inspired artists for generations. Certainly gets the creative juices flowing.

I haven't painted from photos for a long time; fleeting moments like lengthening shadows on a winter's evening are hard to catch in the field though. After spending some time with Michael Workman's paintings at a December show at Meyer Gallery East (I bought this one), and finding out that he does paint in part from photographs, I thought I'd give a few I took a try.

I put a painting by Pete Jordan above my easel to help inspire and keep me from being too literal with recreating a photograph instead of the scene in my mind's eye.

No comments: